Friday, May 25, 2012

Garden 101



It's been way too long since I have written. So much going on with a baby on the way. One might expect that I would be organized since this is my 3rd child --- not the case here! 
As the end of the school year approaches, I find my head spinning trying to wrap stuff up for my kids. I'm no Super-Mom and would never claim to be.

One thing I did get done, all by my-pregnant self I might add...is...planting my veggie garden. This was no easy task since I can barely bend over to even put my shoes on. My husband is, well, challenged when it comes to gardening. He was so kind as to add one wheel barrow full of dirt to my garden beds. Oh honey, don't break a sweat now! I busted my ass and got my seedlings in the ground. Edamame, potatoes, pumpkins, summer squash, tomatoes, peas, zucchini, kale, lettuce and an herb garden. Flower beds will be done this weekend.
I did all of the labor--no pun intended here. I have to say, it came out quite well. Now let's see what pops up. I get such satisfaction out of growing my own food & getting my hands in the dirt. 
Even if you have a brown thumb, I suggest buying a couple 5 gallon containers and planting your favorite veggie in it. Tomatoes & herbs are really easy. The great part about container planting is that you can move it around if needed. You can do this right on your deck or patio. Just be sure to use good soil. 
I buy all of my seeds at http://www.seedsofchange.com
It's a fantastic website for gardening tips and all of their seeds are free from genetic modification.
If you decide to buy plants, I suggest local and organic. It is certainly worth a couple extra bucks for the good stuff.
As my kids get ready for summer with their busy schedules, I find solitude and peace in my garden. It keeps me grounded  and is certainly a labor of love.
Happy summer all & happy gardening everyone!!
-Lisa





No comments:

Post a Comment