Sunday, April 8, 2012

Healthy Ideas Your Kids Will Love! ~Homemade Chicken Nuggets

How often do you get in a cooking rut? Same meals all the time....boring! <~~a quote straight from my 9 year old's mouth!

What kid doesn't like chicken nuggets? This is one dish I do believe my 9 year old will never tire of. So I do my best to make a homemade version.
Here is what we call "Grandma's Chicken" since the original recipe came from my mom.

You will need..

1 pound of boneless chicken (I use breast meat but dark meat works great)
2 eggs
A few tablespoons of olive oil (canola or any oil will work)
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 wheat germ
1 or 2 garlic cloves
salt
pepper
oregano

Step 1
Cut the chicken in nugget size pieces

Step 2
Scramble the eggs with milk in a bowl

Step 3
Put dry ingredients in a bowl

Step 4
Heat up a frying pan on medium/high heat

Step 5
Add the oil when pan is hot

Step 6
Put chicken in the egg mixture

Step 7
Put chicken in the dry ingredients

Step 8
Put chicken in the frying pan & add garlic (I smash the garlic but keep it whole. If you don't like garlic seasoning your oil, skip it)

Step 9
Cook chicken till brown on one side then flip it (usually takes a few 3-5 minutes on each side depending on the size of your nuggets)

Step 10
Take chicken out when fully cooked and place on a rack so the extra oil drips off.

~You can garnish it with parsley or Parmesan cheese. Just about anything goes with this recipe.

~If you prefer not to fry it in oil, you can bake it in the oven for a healthier version.

My kids like to dip it in some of my homemade marinara sauce but this chicken will go with just about any dipping sauce.

I like to make extra and keep some in the freezer for those busy days.

I came across this website from a mom blogger and thought it might be a good one to share..
So here is a link to this cool website that might give you some fresh ideas to spice up your meals in a healthy, kids friendly way.

Enjoy!
Weelicious ™ - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!
This kid loves to eat!

1 comment:

  1. For a healthier version you can bake the chicken on the oven. It's delicious either way!

    ReplyDelete